Advanced Search | Customer Care | NCIXUS Forums |
Newsletters | Contact Us | Your Account | VIEW CART  
 Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » VIDEO CARDS » BITCOIN MINING ON A 7990...
Subject: RE: Bitcoin Mining on a 7990
Share this:  
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  
Author Date Posted Tools
Jeff_F Apr 21, 2013 04:06 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (I Got 6 Strings @ Apr 21 2013, 02:51 PM)

I Got 6 Strings said:
Just noticed you said khash, which means your gpu isnt running at all. Under the device drop  down menu select  it. Seems like you are running cpu only right now.

I only have 2 options

[0-0] Tahiti

and

[0-1] Intel 2500

I have the Tahiti running.

How do I join a pool and know I'm not getting screwed?

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
I Got 6 Strings Apr 21, 2013 04:16 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

You don't. You have to trust the pool. Netcodepool is fairly trustworthy for litecoin and slushs pool is fairly trustworthy for bitcoin.

Your cards aren't running if you are only getting khash and the temps are so low. I get 300Mhash/s with a 6870 you should be getting triple what I'm getting at the very least. It should max out your cards if its working correctly. Do you have the AMD APP SDK installed?
Litecoin is a different story. I only get 300Khash/s with that. Not sure what the difference between litecoin and bitcoin mining wise but its running like its supposed to.
What are you using to mine guiminer?

Lance W Apr 21, 2013 04:33 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

The good pools will tell you right out how much they pay out and list every block they solve.

Solo mining is a fool's errand - the chances of you solving a block on your own using a single GPU is so miniscule, it will probably never happen and you will get nothing for your efforts.

Jeff_F Apr 21, 2013 05:28 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I looked all over the AMD site for the SDK and the only drivers are for Windows XP. :(

I Got 6 Strings Apr 21, 2013 05:47 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

http://developer.amd.com/tools/heterogeneous-computing/amd-accelerated-parallel-processing-app-sdk/downloads/

W7 version but works fine with W8.

Jeff_F Apr 21, 2013 05:57 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Beauty, thanks. Hopefully that solves my GPU issue.

I Got 6 Strings Apr 21, 2013 06:13 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Fingers crossed. If not I suggest you ask one of the more experienced folks here or on a bitcoin forum. I am pretty new to this myself but ran into several issues getting started and that was a common issue and fix.

Hotshot Apr 21, 2013 06:21 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Jeff_F @ Apr 21 2013, 05:57 PM)

How do I join a pool and know I'm not getting screwed?

Here is list of bitcoin mining pools:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Comparison_of_mining_pools

I use bctGuild (for now, I might switch to a lower fee site). With PPLNS they take 3% fee and they share the transactions fees. Auto payout is set at 0.1 BTC, so I know worse case scenario id only lose about 0.1 bitcoins if they decided to run tomorrow.

Jeff_F Apr 21, 2013 07:44 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Cool, thanks guys.

Jeff_F Apr 21, 2013 10:22 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

In Slush's pool now....getting 600Mhash/s. GPU is sitting at 67C. I'll leave this overnight and see what happens.

How do I turn bitcoins into actual $$?

I Got 6 Strings Apr 22, 2013 02:17 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

You can convert  them on a site like BTC-E.

Careful not leave your funds on a site too long, make a payout to your wallet at 0.1 or something like that so the most you can ever lose is set to an affordable amount. You can set your payout under My Account on slushs pool page. mining.bitcoin.cz.

You will probably want to hang on to the coins as long as possible. They are worth $120 right now. It'll be awhile before you see any actual return so don't get too excited. Litecoins are much easier to mine if you want to see something actually start adding up. They are worth $2.50 right now but theres a good chance that will rise. You can probably mine a coin a day with your setup where as bitcoin would probably take 2 weeks to get a single coin if youre lucky.

Try adding "-w128 -v -f 15" to your flags field. That will maximize your mining. Set -f 60 if you want to be able to game or use the computer in the meantime. If you find it unusable still try upping it to 80. Play with that number a bit and find a sweet spot.

I Got 6 Strings Apr 22, 2013 03:46 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (I Got 6 Strings @ Apr 22 2013, 02:17 AM)

Hashrate Optimization Guide
This is a quick guide to running your rig as effeciently as possible and ensure that you have the right drivers and software installed as well as a few performance tricks.

Step 1: Find and download the latest and best drivers for your card(s)
Users are claiming that drivers 11.4-11.12 seem to work best. Download these drivers from AMD's site here
Step 2: Download and install SDK for your card(s)
SDK (Software Development Kit) that is needed to run mining software. Most users are saying 2.4 and 2.5 are working the best. Download SDK from AMD's website here
Step 3: Disable Windows Aero
Right click My Computer > Advanced system properties > Advanced > Settings > Adjust for best performance > Apply

Disabling Windows Aero will squeeze out those last few hash out of your card as its resources will not be used to make your mining rig "look pretty"
Step 4: Disable ATI Crossfire
Disabling ATI Crossfire gives you more performance while mining as crossfire only utilizes about 70% of their power, while running them separate 100% of their power can be used. Step 5: (Optional) Overclock your card(s)

Jeff_F Apr 22, 2013 09:03 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Thanks 6 Strings....its going good now. 600Mhash/s. I have about 200 shares (whatever that means), and my score is 44000 (whatever that means as well).

Entz Apr 22, 2013 09:24 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Shares, unless that pool is different than the ones I have used in the past, are basically your share of the current block. Really just a reflection of how much work you have done relative to others and is used to figure your payout.

Asuming a linear payout with no fees: A block is completed, and there 2,000,000 shares for that round (average luck on a block at my old pool). and the block is worth 25 BTC. You would get 200/2,000,000 * 25 BTC as your payout (0.0025 BTC). Obviously this is just an example and depending on your pool what you get will differ greatly.

Thats for that link Hotshot, seem that Eclipse is still around, checked them out and I had .4 BTC un-transferred from back from when they were worthless (and not worth it relative to power) lol.

Edit: Math fail :P

This message was modified by the poster at 04 22, 2013 09:31 AM

Kame Apr 25, 2013 02:18 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Question for some of you still mining bitcoin.

Why do you guys mine bitcoin instead of litecoin?
Don't you get higher return by mining litecoin as the difficulty of bitcoin mining is so high? (And the many pending ASICs to come)

I've been doing litecoin mining for a couple weeks now with my 6950 and 7970 because I just assumed that bitcoin is no longer profitable to mine with GPUs. And I can just trade my LTC for BTC fairly easily.

Hotshot Apr 25, 2013 02:37 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Kame @ Apr 25 2013, 02:18 PM)

Why do you guys mine bitcoin instead of litecoin?

I was doing bitcoins because its what I found out about first and when I look into litecoins the numbers where relatively close. I took another quick look yesterday and I did notice its probably worth switching over.

Entz Apr 25, 2013 03:00 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The only downside to litecoins at the moment is the price of them is quite low (mostly due to numbers being generated and difficulty/demand). You wont make a lot from them until the price goes 10-20x what it is now. That being said, it is a lot like bitcoins where a few years ago. When I stopped mining bitcoins where about 2-3$ each on a good day and was hard to just break even on power. Now look what happened.

It would be worth switching over sooner than later. Better to get in early than later imo.

Dusted off my little 5770 a week ago and it is doing well. Might as well bank a bunch of coins and see what happens

I figure Bitcoins only a have a few months left at most before the ASICs are the only thing left. Heck even the 5GH/s ASICs are likely to be useless by the time they come online (unlikely to break even) unless the price jumps massively.

This message was modified by the poster at 04 25, 2013 03:01 PM

Kame Apr 25, 2013 03:21 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Well, is litecoin not more profitable?

7970 = 650khash (seems to be the average, you can definitely pull up to 750 though)
Today's difficulty is 405, so you make about 1.58LTC/day.
The average value of LTC in the last 2 weeks is probably around $2.4, although it's at $3.8 right now.
Assuming $2.4/LTC, you're making about $3.80/day from a single 7970.
Assuming it stays at at least $3.5/LTC, you're making $5.58/day.
Note: the difficulty rises about every 3 days, so expect to make about 30% less per month or something

I haven't looked at any bitcoin mining values in a while, but it's way less isn't it? (I remember calculating with about 600mhash about 1.5months ago and saw less than $1/day)

I didn't factor in power costs as that varies for everyone :P

This is mostly math out of my ass and using a mining calculator.

I Got 6 Strings Apr 25, 2013 03:25 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Kame @ Apr 25 2013, 03:21 PM)

I haven't looked at any bitcoin mining values in a while, but it's way less isn't it?

Bitcoin gpu mining is dead. BFL is shipping ASIC boxes now and that means the end of bitcoin mining for gpus is here. LTC is an exception as ASIC boxes can't touch it as of yet. Exchanging LTC for BTC is probably the only way to convert  gpu work into BTC at a reasonable value. GPUs and LTC are a great way to make money or at least break even and get some free awesome hardware.

Entz Apr 25, 2013 03:35 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Yeah it is. Well relatively anyways. The Fees are a bit out of control at the moment (.1 to .5!)

Your numbers are pretty solid actually, at least based on the calculator I use as well. For me it would net out to 3$ day after power, Which isn't that bad actually. Of course it depends a bit on your pool and luck.

I may actually pick up a 7970 just for this reason (Sell my 670). Really too bad NVidia sucks at everything compute.

Kame Apr 25, 2013 03:50 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Yeah, I just picked up an extra 7950 (needed to save money so I didn't get another 7970) to mine with.

Happy mining! :)

I Got 6 Strings Apr 25, 2013 04:09 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Entz, a 7950 is better for LTC. Less power used and only a slight loss in hash rate. It works out to more profit in the end.

Jeff_F Apr 25, 2013 06:11 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Kame said:

7970 = 650khash (seems to be the average, you can definitely pull up to 750 though)
Today's difficulty is 405, so you make about 1.58LTC/day.
The average value of LTC in the last 2 weeks is probably around $2.4, although it's at $3.8 right now.
Assuming $2.4/LTC, you're making about $3.80/day from a single 7970.
Assuming it stays at at least $3.5/LTC, you're making $5.58/day.
Note: the difficulty rises about every 3 days, so expect to make about 30% less per month or something

I haven't looked at any bitcoin mining values in a while, but it's way less isn't it? (I remember calculating with about 600mhash about 1.5months ago and saw less than $1/day)

I didn't factor in power costs as that varies for everyone :P

This is mostly math out of my ass and using a mining calculator.

I am mining Bitcoins with a 7970 and I'm only getting 600Mhash/s. On an average day, I am getting 0.048 Bitcoins. At today's price of $133, that's over $6/day. That's better than $5.58.

Entz Apr 25, 2013 07:14 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Good to know, thanks guys

PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  

Contentname:Forums_Bottom
Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Greg * NCIX.com (27745)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
NCIX Gift Cards
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
NCIXUS.com is powered by Intel© Xeon© Quad Core Processors. Copyright© 2014 NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.