Advanced Search | Customer Care | NCIXUS Forums |
Newsletters | Contact Us | Your Account | VIEW CART  
 Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » OFF TOPIC » VW HYBRID GETS 265 MPG...
Subject: VW Hybrid Gets 265 mpg
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
Calypso Jan 29, 2011 08:52 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

...or 1 litre/100km., and its absolutely beautiful!
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/01/vw-xl1-concept-car/

Yes, its concept but we can dream!

This message was modified by the poster at 01 29, 2011 08:54 PM

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2308892

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
David_Y Jan 29, 2011 09:12 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Looks sick.

So does (will) the price tag.

[bernZ] Jan 29, 2011 09:14 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

The efficiency is just a made up number right now: It can't actually hit 265mpg.

Look up the initial overstatement of fuel efficiency for the Chevy Volt and compare it to the actual ratings it can get.
http://www.manolith.com/2009/09/22/gm-announces-230-mpg-for-chevy-volt/

This message was modified by the poster at 01 29, 2011 09:15 PM

Calypso Jan 29, 2011 09:15 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

It go's into Limited Production in 2013. That probably means 6 cars.
More pics from the Qatar Motor Show.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/27/volkswagen-xl1-limited-production/

carniver Jan 29, 2011 09:25 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Our buses that run on overhead electric cables have infinite mpg.

Calypso Jan 29, 2011 09:53 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Delete Image. Please use this feature thoughtfully.  Report this image 

Quote: ([bernZ] @ Jan 29 2011, 09:14 PM)

The efficiency is just a made up number right now: It can't actually hit 265mpg.

It actually can get 263 mpg as they've been working on this for 10 years now.
To enable a vehicle to achieve 1 litre/per 100km. So a super efficient vehicle today
burns 4litres/per 100km. Thats 60 mpg. If you get the same 100km for 1 litre.
Thats 4x60=240 MPG. So they use a battery at the same time. Who cares. Hopefully by 2015 they can hammer the costs down some more. Europeans have been building diesels for a lot of years and they're getting pretty good at it. 200 HP
that gets 60 MPG is pretty stink'in good. Won't see that in Amerika!
Hope you were paying attention!

[bernZ] Jan 29, 2011 10:13 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Well, if you want to argue the strict definition of mpg or L/km. You have to actually burn some sort of fuel, so a pure electric car would get infinitely good fuel economy because it doesn't use fuel in the traditional sense.

I'm not arguing the merits of fuel efficiency. Saving gas is good. All I'm saying is that it doesn't hit 260mpg all the time every time. These fuel consumption numbers are tweaked and fudged and everyone knows it.

hung_h Jan 29, 2011 10:21 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

the reason why they havent gone full production into electric cars is cause the power grid cannot handle everyone recharging during the day. maybe at night, but its pretty bad as it is during the day with the current infrastructure.

Calypso Jan 29, 2011 10:24 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Quote: ([bernZ] k Jan 29 2011, 10:13 PM)

Well, if you want to argue the strict definition of mpg or L/km. You have to actually burn some sort of fuel, so a pure electric car would get infinitely good fuel economy because it doesn't use fuel in the traditional sense.

Yes, but the electricity that charges the battery either comes from Hydro/Nuclear
or coal fired plants. There is still a toll on the environment. You're still paying for it unless you generate your own.

This message was modified by the poster at 01 29, 2011 10:31 PM

{--M--} Jan 29, 2011 10:34 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

A car like that looks like it would be practical in a city with a warmer climate and streets in good condition.

I bet it totally sucks in the snow and on rough roads though, look at how low it is, plus with its light weight good luck getting the traction necessary to plow through snow. And is that tiny engine going to produce enough heat to keep the car comfortable in the dead of winter (-20 and below)? I would say no. You can burn more fuel running a space heater than what the car burns to travel 100km.

loggerbomb Jan 30, 2011 12:14 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Well the vehicle sure seems like a commuter car for large cities. Mostly European/asian where here isn't much snow and where they like small cars. If this were to come to North America they would likely bring it up to a two seater with a 4 cylinder car.

That is to presume that it ever actually sees the light of day.

Though the claims of MPG that the article claim remind me of an ad I saw on kijiji. Some guy was selling a Ford Contour claiming it got 50MPG. Total BS as I have owned two and know that car would never get over 34 MPG on any given day. And that is being tuned to the max and driving efficiently as possible.
And that reminds me of another ad I saw where a guy said the car never hit 3K RPMs but the pictures clearly showed there was no tach!

Calypso Jan 30, 2011 01:05 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Quote: (loggerbomb @ Jan 30 2011, 12:14 AM)

bring it up to a two seater

It is a 2 seater.It probably won't look like that!
We will see the diesel/hybrid drivetrain, only not in Amerika. Yes, we probably
won't see the carbon fiber body, magnesium wheels or finely honed aluminum suspension parts.

I was merely trying to point out how much more sophisticated diesels have become, even over the last 2 years. Go drive a Jetta or a new
Beemer with a diesel in it. Like I said before, 200HP that gets 60MPG. Not to mention the tractor like torque. This is a lot closer than you guys are giving it credit for. I shouldn't have included the "H" word.

loggerbomb Jan 30, 2011 01:20 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

I was skimming over the pics, looked like a mono seat to me.
You misunderstand if you felt I was not giving the vehicle credit for it's features. These things have come a long way and if GM hadn't shelved the cars they had produced in the 90s we would be that much farther ahead in the electric department.
As for diesel, they have come leaps and bounds, but since they are still stigmatized over here in NA because of the noise and smell they used to make it is still hard to sell diesels as well as regular gas.
I am all for these kinds of cars. It just sucks that the companies making them usually shelve the really good ideas and come out with the dumb ones. We really should be seeing more than 50MPG on regular gas let alone diesel. There just isn't any incentive for them to push fuel efficiency and it shows as you are not seeing any real improvements in that respect.
Not sure what you meant by the 'H' word.

Calypso Jan 30, 2011 11:20 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

You're gonna have to trust me, its a 2 seater. The passenger seat is slightly behind the drivers kinda like a Mclaren F1. H is for hybrid.
I took a look at some numbers and 265MPG is completely ridiculous.

The chevy volt, if charged daily would likely never need its gas engine. Chevy says the volt will turn on to lubricate the engine and burn old gas if the need should arise.
The term mpg is misleading because if you're not using any gallons how do you equate the energy from a gallon of gas into electricity or energy? Its still wonky because of ever changing conditions from ideal to xtreme that affect battery performance and charging.

The volt has been rated for 93/mpg, which is bang on if you happen to be lucky enough to burn 1 gallon/year. That 1 gallon was only used for lubrication so I'm not going to use it in my example.

Example: I've made this as simple as possible for a Sunday morning!
Chevy says a 30 mile trip(battery only) will cost a $1.50 in electricity. So let's say that $1.50 represents 1 litre of gasoline. Let's say you use 5 litres/week for 50 weeks out of a year. That will be 250litres or 63 gallons a year. Distance traveled will be 12,500 km or 7,767 miles. That's 123/mpg in a favorable light.
....and you didn't use any petrol!
I think I'm being pretty conservative, your electricity costs for a year, based on these numbers would be $375.00.
So, my apologies! I guess they get their electricity for free in Germany!

NArkshaRK Jan 30, 2011 11:38 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Want 265 mpg?

Car pool.

Public transit.

For the few tradesmen that actually need a vehicle, you can't fit your tools in one of these fancy vehicles.

Soundwave Jan 30, 2011 11:56 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Quote: (hung_h @ Jan 29 2011, 10:21 PM)

the reason why they havent gone full production into electric cars is cause the power grid cannot handle everyone recharging during the day. maybe at night, but its pretty bad as it is during the day with the current infrastructure.

That's not true at all, electric cars trickle charge at 2amps on 12 volt batteries. That's nearly nothing to the grid. We are talking less power consumption per second then some phones, when charging. Also, your logic makes no sense. Grid usage goes up at night, so why would charging a car be easier on the grid at night?

Electric cars are not in full production because they are not financially viable to build and maintain. A modern battery alone only lasts about 5 years, so you are looking at more waste with current batteries. Electric motors also do not have long life spans. You are looking at essentially needing a new motor in 5 to 10 years.

This is why hydrogen cars are a better alternative then electric cars.

Contentname:Forums_Bottom
Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 33 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Greg * NCIX.com (27745)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
NCIX Gift Cards
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
NCIXUS.com is powered by Intel© Xeon© Quad Core Processors. Copyright© 2014 NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.