Advanced Search | Customer Care | NCIXUS Forums |
Newsletters | Contact Us | Your Account | VIEW CART  
 Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » GENERAL DISCUSSIONS » SHAW HIGH SPEED INTERNET; 2 IP ADDRESSES...
Subject: Shaw High Speed Internet; 2 IP Addresses
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
S_W Jan 25, 2007 12:06 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Well on the Shaw website, it states that the High Speed Internet service allows 2 IP Addresses, but what does that mean? Do I get charged extra if I have two modems running on two different computers in one household on just the $38/month High Speed Internet?

Thanks.

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=1264699

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
Lightning Jan 25, 2007 12:56 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

It means that, if you want to share the internet without a router you could have two computers on the internet through a hub or a switch because shaw will assign you two ip addresses. (However, if you get a router, you could theoretically have over 100 computers hooked up as you can then create your own internal ip addresses)

You wouldn't be able to have two modems unless you arranged that through shaw. I believe deathhawk runs a couple of modems off shaw, but he has to pay extra for that.

If you want to share the internet through your household, your best bet is to get either a wired, or a wireless router, and share it that way. That way you also get a hardware firewall to better protect your computers from internet threats.

Yar! I'm a Pirate! Jan 25, 2007 01:13 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Lightning, I belive the WRT54GL can accomodate over 2500 connections simultaniously. I would suggest linksys, but that is just a personal preference.

S_W Jan 25, 2007 05:30 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Thanks for the reply guys.

Well cost-wise I think it is cheaper to buy an extra modem ($50ish) and run that than buy a linksys wireless router ($70) + the wireless adapter ($50), which totals around $120.

But if Shaw charged for running an extra modem, then I guess my only alternative is the get the wireless router. Maybe I should get a USB adapter for around $20.

I remember once I brought my DOCSIS modem over to my friends house and we called Shaw up to allow us to use two modems, but he didn't get charged for two connections. Any ideas on that?

Sunny

This message was modified by the poster at 01 25, 2007 05:53 PM

Lightning Jan 25, 2007 05:58 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (S_W @ Jan 25 2007, 05:30 PM)

I remember once I brought my DOCSIS modem over to my friends house and we called Shaw up to allow us to use two modems, but he didn't get charged for two connections. Any ideas on that?

Probably because you were paying for one, and he was paying for the other one.

Unless you want to double your allowable bandwidth... I'd recommend getting a router.

Brandon_M Jan 25, 2007 06:01 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

If I were you I'd still get the router and wireless card. Those two items are useful for a lot of other situations too, like plugging in extra computers, or using the wireless card at other people's houses. And both are not as expensive as you say. My wireless card cost $20 and the router wasn't much either.

{--M--} Jan 25, 2007 06:16 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

2 IP addresses does not mean you can use two modems. It just means you have access to use 2 dynamic external IP addresses, which is usually done by connecting a switch to the modem, and then 2 devices to the switch (computers and/or routers).

If you want to use 2 IP addresses you have to phone up Shaw and tell them so they can activate the 2nd IP (no extra cost).

For your purposes, just get a router it will be fine.

death_hawk Jan 25, 2007 06:28 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: ({--M--} @ Jan 25 2007, 06:16 PM)

You wouldn't be able to have two modems unless you arranged that through shaw. I believe deathhawk runs a couple of modems off shaw, but he has to pay extra for that.

2 modems means 2 accounts. in order to take advantage of 2 IPs (public) you would have to stick a switch inbetween your modem and router.
You can then plug a 2nd device into the switch and get a whole new IP. Everything is still tied to the 1 account. You don't get double the bandwidth or speed.

If you want a 2nd modem, you'll have to pay for another line.

death_hawk Jan 25, 2007 06:30 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (death_hawk @ Jan 25 2007, 06:28 PM)

Quote: (death_hawk @ Jan 25 2007, 06:28 PM)

Probably because you were paying for one, and he was paying for the other one.

Basically yes. You are paying for a line/modem. When you bring it over to someone elses house, the usage through your modem goes to your account.
I don't know their policy on how this is supposed to work, but I don't see any issue with it. You're still paying for service, you're just getting it at a different address.

Russell_G Jan 25, 2007 07:30 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Shaw used to allow you to take your modem somewhere else and hook it up, but now (at least here) it doesn't work anymore.

Shaw also, last I checked, doesn't allow two modems (even if you do buy two accounts as they only allow one account per residential addresses).

My info could be a tad out of date but such as been my experience.

death_hawk Jan 25, 2007 08:14 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Russell_G @ Jan 25 2007, 07:30 PM)

Shaw also, last I checked, doesn't allow two modems (even if you do buy two accounts as they only allow one account per residential addresses).

I know first hand that is wrong. I personally have 2 modems and 2 accounts.
Plus how would they end up billing someone in a suite?

S_W Jan 25, 2007 08:41 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Yeah it was quite a while ago.

Jason_B Jan 25, 2007 10:58 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

shaw first sold multiple ips for console usage. that was years ago. that may still be their reasoning or just one of them.

Contentname:Forums_Bottom
Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 33 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Greg * NCIX.com (27745)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
NCIX Gift Cards
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
NCIXUS.com is powered by Intel© Xeon© Quad Core Processors. Copyright© 2014 NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.